So, you’ve made the decision to move your phone system to the cloud or maybe you’re already taking advantage of the cloud and now you’re thinking about a new IP phone. With so many options to choose from, how do you decide which one? At GreenLink we support many brands and models but we encourage our customers to think about the decision in terms of business needs and features.
We find that there are 6 questions to ask:
1. How many buttons? – This makes the top of our list because the number of buttons defines how you will be able to use the phone to support your business activities. A VoIP phone system is rich with features like call parking, speed dialing, paging and the ability to see another user’s extension status. Users want these features right at their fingertips so the number of buttons is really determined by how they plan on using their phones.
2. Will I need an additional network port? – This is also a very important question because IP phones use a standard network connection, just like your computer. Most businesses have a single network connection per desk and running additional wiring can be costly. The good news is that IP phones are equipped with an additional network port in the back so you won’t incur the expense of wiring. You can use your single network connection to connect your phone and then use the additional port to connect your computer.
3. Is color or a black & white screen best? – This is matter of preference and knowing which will help narrow down the search.
4. Expansion capabilities? – You may need to add a “side panel” or “side car” for a receptionist or you may need a phone with a USB port. Some of the smaller IP phones do not support adding additional peripherals so you’ll want to be sure to take that into consideration when selecting a model.
5. Is it compatible with a wireless headset? – You might be used to your favorite headset at the office and would like to continue to use it with your new IP phone. If that is the case, you’ll want to make sure that the phone you are selecting is compatible.
6. Look and feel? – After business requirements are met, sometimes it comes down to the phone that has the right look and feel for you and your team.
Your GreenLink partner is a great resource to have a conversation about your business needs. Or, to get started you can visit our phones and devices page for purchase and rental options.